Total U.S. Navy Battle Force:
|Deployed Ships Underway||Non-deployed Ships Underway||Total Ships Underway|
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|Fleet Forces||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) is in port in Yokosuka, Japan. Reagan, which is the service’s forward-deployed carrier, pulled into its homeport of Yokosuka on Nov. 14. Japan-based U.S. carriers typically make two shorter patrols every year, with a winter maintenance period in Yokosuka.
It was one year ago this week Reagan got underway after completing its maintenance period.
Reagan’s selected restricted availability (SRA) is being “conducted by Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (PSNS) & Intermediate Maintenance Facility (IMF) Detachment Yokosuka employees, along with PSNS & IMF and Norfolk Naval Shipyard employees on temporary duty to Japan and the Ship Repair Facility in Yokosuka,” according to the service.
USS America (LHA-6) is in port in Sasebo, Japan.
In the Gulf of Alaska
The Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group is in the Gulf of Alaska to participate in Exercise Northern Edge 2021 that starts today. The joint force exercise will feature USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71), its escorts and Carrier Air Wing 11; the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group and the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit; about 200 ground-based aircraft; and 10,000 troops operating from the Aleutian Islands deep into the interior of Alaska.
Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group also participated in Northern Edge 2019.
Carrier Strike Group 9
USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
Carrier Air Wing 11
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 11, based at Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif., is embarked aboard Theodore Roosevelt and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Tomcatters” of VFA-31 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) – from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Golden Warriors” of VFA-87 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Blue Diamonds” of VFA-146 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Black Knights” of VFA-154 from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Gray Wolves” of VAQ-142 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Liberty Bells” of VAW-115 – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Point Mugu, Calif.
- The “Providers” of VRC-30 – Detachment – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Eight Ballers” of HSC-8 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Wolf Pack” of HSM-75 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- USS Bunker Hill (CG-52), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 23
Destroyer Squadron 23 is based in San Diego and is embarked on the carrier.
- USS Russell (DDG-59), homeported in San Diego, Calif.
In the Northern Pacific
The Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group and the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit are now in the North Pacific – off the Aleutian Islands – in the U.S. 3rd Fleet area of operations. The Makin Island ARG and 15th MEU will participate in Exercise Northern Edge 2021, the first time an ARG/MEU team has done so in the Northern Edge exercise series.
The ARG includes amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD-8) and amphibious transport docks USS San Diego (LPD-22) and USS Somerset (LPD-25). The 15th MEU includes the Command Element; the Aviation Combat Element composed of Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 164 (Reinforced); the Ground Combat Element composed of Battalion Landing Team 1/4; and the Logistics Combat Element composed of Combat Logistics Battalion 15. Other units include Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 23, Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 49, Tactical Air Control Squadron 11, Beach Master Unit 1, and Fleet Surgical Team 1 from San Diego and Assault Craft Unit 5 from Camp Pendleton, Calif.
In the North Arabian Sea
USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69), Carrier Air Wing 3 and IKE’s escorts are operating in the North Arabian Sea after arriving in U.S. Central Command in early April to support the ongoing anti-ISIS Operation Inherent Resolve. CENTCOM commander Gen. Kenneth McKenzie requested Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin keep the strike group in CENTCOM instead of continuing on with its planned operations in other regions.
While the Biden White House has set a Sept. 11, 2021, deadline for a complete withdrawal from Afghanistan, it’s unclear how long a strike group will be required to remain in the region and whether it would be asked to extend beyond the typical six-month deployment length.
Carrier Strike Group 2
Norfolk-based CSG 2 commands the Dwight D. Eisenhower CSG and is embarked on the carrier.
USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
Carrier Air Wing 3
Carrier Air Wing 3, based at Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked aboard Dwight D. Eisenhower and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Fighting Swordsmen” of VFA-32 – Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) – from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Gunslingers” of VFA-105 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Wildcats” of VFA-131 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Rampagers” of VFA-83 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Zappers” of VAQ-130 – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Screwtops” of VAW-123 – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of VRC-40 – Detachment – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Dusty Dogs” of HSC-7 – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Swamp Foxes” of HSM-74 – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fla.
- USS Monterey (CG-61), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Vella Gulf (CG-72), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
Destroyer Squadron 22
Destroyer Squadron 22 is based at Norfolk and its leaders are embarked on Eisenhower.
- USS Thomas Hudner (DDG-116), homeported in Mayport, Fla.
- USS Laboon (DDG-58), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Mitscher (DDG-57), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
- USS Mahan (DDG-72), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
In the Eastern Atlantic
The Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group and the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit are in the Eastern Atlantic, just northwest of Scotland.
Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7), Harpers Ferry-class dock landing ship USS Carter Hall (LSD-50) and amphibious transport dock USS San Antonio (LPD-17) make up the ARG. Embarked detachments for the Iwo Jima ARG include Amphibious Squadron Four, Fleet Surgical Team (FST) Six, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 26, Tactical Air Control Squadron (TACRON) 21, Naval Beach Group (NBG) Two, Beach Master Unit (BMU) Two, Assault Craft Unit (ACU) Two and Four, and Sailors from Amphibious Construction Battalion (ACB) Two.
The 24th MEU, which is headquartered at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., consists of a ground combat element, Battalion Landing Team (BLT) 1/8, a logistics combat element, Combat Logistics Battalion (CLB) 24, and an aviation combat element, Medium Tilt-Rotor Squadron (VMM) 162 Reinforced. The 24th MEU also includes a Light Armored Reconnaissance detachment.
In the Black Sea
USCGC Hamilton (WMSL-753) is in the Black Sea. The Legend-class National Security Cutter passed through the Bosphorus Strait on April 27 in support of NATO operations in the region.
“The last U.S. Coast Guard Cutter to visit the Black Sea, USCGC Dallas (WHEC-716), sailed to the Black Sea twice, in 2008 and 1995,” reads the U.S. 6th fleet statement.
The rare transit comes as part of the U.S. Coast Guard’s latest long-range mission emanating from the East Coast.
In Athens, Greece
Sentinel-class fast response cutters USCGC Charles Moulthrope (WPC-1141) and USCGC Robert Goldman (WPC-1142) arrived in Athens, Greece, last week. They will continue their transit through the Mediterranean and will continue to their new homeport of Manama, Bahrain. Moulthrope and Goldman are the first two of six Sentinel-class ships headed to U.S. Patrol Forces Southwest Asia, operating under the Navy’s U.S. 5th Fleet command.
In the Eastern Pacific
USS Tripoli (LHA-7) is underway in the Southern California Operating Areas. Tripoli was commissioned in July 2020 and arrived in its new homeport of San Diego in September 2020.